Part 1: Due to the excessive amount of large smallmouth bass today, I have to do this report in two stages. Darren & I headed to a local lake, with the weather looking like it was going to be sunny all day. Boy were we in for a surprise! The first half hour saw sunshine and the last 15 minutes as well. In between all of that we were in the clouds and had a wind of 10 to 20 knots from the west. I wish the weatherman could get the report right just once! Air temps were in the upper 40’s and the water temps were 48.5 in most areas. We began by dragging tubes in 20 to 30 feet of water and it wasn’t long before Darren was tight to a nice bass of 3.5 pounds. Almost immediately after releasing that fish, he was into another of equal size and the games began. Plenty of fish in the 2.5 to 3.5 range came aboard in the next hour, but we were looking for the real haawgs! I moved around quicker than usual to try and get out of these smaller fish and it paid off. Once we found the right spot, Darren was into one over 5 pounds that unfortunately came off when she went airborne. Right back into the same area, he was immediately into another slightly smaller and this time it came aboard. We were even into several doubles as we continued to fish this area for the next hour or so and landed plenty of quality sized smallies up to 5 pounds.Eventually, we educated most of these fish and had to move on! We picked a fish here and there until I located another huge concentration of bass and it began all over once more. This time however, we stayed for almost 3 hours just pounding one bass after another. Many, many doubles and 4 to 5 pounders came aboard during this time and it felt like we had found the “Mother Load” at last. One of the fish looked like it was worth weighing and it tipped the scales at 5 pounds 12 ounces. It was only then that we realized how big some of these fish actually were and weighed another smallie that we thought might have gone a little over four. To our amazement, it weighed 4 pounds 12 ounces and was just bloated with food. Pretty much all of these fish looked like they had been at an all you can eat buffet and had done just that. The fall fishing can be spectacular once you locate them and above average days like this can become the norm and not the rarity. There were so many fish being caught that we had to empty the livewell twice for the pictures we were taking during the morning fishing. The first half of the day was great with the second half to follow!